Saint Petersburg State Museum-institute of the Roerichs is situated on Basil Island, in academic M.P. Botkin’s old residence, where N.K. Roerich had been many times. The basis of memorial exposition of Museum-institution is heritage, kept by E.I. Roerich’s niece – Lydmila Stepanovna Mitusova and her family. During some years of existence of museum owners of private collections have given to museum a row of art and other kind of exhibits. To date its funds consist of about 15 thousand things: private things, manuscripts, paintings, arts and crafts, archeological finds, photographs and other cultural treasure, reflecting wide context of life and creation of the Roerichs.
Itself name Museum-institute means that it was forethought not only as a museum in a general meaning of this word, but also as a science centre of research of our great compatriot’s heritage.
Museum-institute offers for its guests:
- stationary expositions, devoted to four members of the Roerichs
- review and subject excursions
- modern artists’ exhibitions
- a special program for pupils “Museum orientation”
- Science and educational publications
- every third Friday culture seminar of St Petersburg Roerich’s collection
- every fourth Sunday “Travelers’ club”
- “Mitusova’s evenings” on Saturdays, meetings “Poets and poetry”, concerts of classic and oriental music under the rubric “Music meetings”
- Art-educational exhibitions full size facsimile reproductions of Nicholas and Svyatoslav Roerichs’ works, and also masterpieces of world art on different exhibition stages.